Monday, 19 January 2009

Where Did You Get That???


I have lots of interesting things in my workshop, but the thing that people ask me about, oddly, is the paper I use for transfer dyeing. It's not anything special, you understand, it's just white newsprint, which is ideal for transfer dyeing as it is cheap and convenient. I get mine from Wannabox. And I get my boxes for Etsy there, too. But I do have to admit to a certain bias... my husband is their accountant. They are, however, artist and craftsperson friendly, so it is worth a look if you need paper, boxes, bubblewrap or the like.

This is the kind of thing that people don't associate with artists; they think paint, dye, fun stuff...but never packaging! I love visiting the factory, as I've never seen so much paper in one place at one time, and have to be physically restrained from picking up every scrap of paper from the floor just in case I can use it. And watch this space... I have some of their small boxes which I intend to alter. It's amazing what you can do with cardboard!

I do have other favourite suppliers, of course, but this has to be the oddest one in my collection. Maybe you could share your strangest supplies, too?

4 comments:

makeyourpresentsfelt said...

Great post! Suppliers - well,not actually a 'supplier', but I have been dangled by my ankles into other people's rubbish skips ...

Martha Marshall said...

Ooooooo,I love paper and boxes and packaging in general. Thanks for the info. Beautiful paper pic too!

Sixsisters said...

Marion I am with you on this. I love all kinds of paper
and it always is amazing how strong it is and how
versatile !! Great post.

Rose said...

Marion paper is the best! And there's nothing wrong with cardboard! One of my earliest collages was done on a piece of scap cardboard and it's still good 50+ years later.